Connect with us

Motherland News

Nigeria: Auto crash leaves eight dead, two injured in Ogun state.

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0

Eight persons travelling in a Toyota Hummer commercial bus died on Tuesday, while two others were injured when the bus ran under a Mack truck at the Danco end of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Our correspondent gathered that the bus, with number plate, BEN 313 XY, was travelling to Benin, Edo State, when it ran into the truck marked, MUS 730 XN, around 8.30am.



The Public Relations Officer of the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Babatunde Akinbiyi, said there were 10 people on the bus, including the driver.

He further explained that the passengers were five males and five females.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

He said the passengers had just returned from Spain and were travelling to Benin, Edo State.

Akinbiyi said, “When the accident occurred, all the five males, including the driver, and two females, died on the spot.

“One among the three female passengers that had injuries later died at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.”

TRACE said the accident was caused by wrongful overtaking on the part of the bus driver.

He said, “The driver of the Hummer commercial bus was speeding and he could not control the vehicle. At a point, he rammed the vehicle into the Mack truck, which was ahead of his vehicle.

“Our operatives said from information gathered at the scene that the passengers had just returned from Spain and were travelling to Benin.

The accident, they said, was caused by speeding and wrongful overtaking on the part of the driver of the bus.”

He said the corpses of the victims had been deposited in the mortuary of the OOUTH, while the injured were receiving treatment in the same hospital.

Akinbiyi warned motorists to always adhere to the recommended speed limit to avoid carnage on roads.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0

Motherland News

Lake Victoria Island in tension as Uganda arrests Kenyan fishermen

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0

The arrest of 12 Kenyan fishermen by Ugandan security operatives has caused fresh tension in Lake Victoria islands in western Kenya.

In what is seen as retaliation after Kenyan security officials secured the release of their three police officers arrested by Ugandan soldiers last week, fishermen on the Kenyan side of the lake are in fear of a fresh wave of arrests.

Local politicians have reignited the debate on ownership of Migingo Island in Lake Victoria, saying they have been raising these issues yet the government has done nothing about it.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Barely a week after Ugandan authorities abducted three Kenyan police officers and five fishermen from Nambo Beach in Siaya County, they struck again on Saturday, seizing two boats.

Witnesses say the officers’ guns and phones were taken away before the officers were transferred to Namaingo in eastern Uganda by boat.

Siaya County Administration Police Commandant Patrick Lumumba said the incident involved up to eight soldiers on patrol who arrived in a Kenyan boat.

On Saturday, according to an incident reported at Usenge Police Station by Nambo Beach Management Unit chairman Gabriel Onyango at 4pm, two Kenyan boats – one with an engine and the other without – were confiscated by Ugandan soldiers.

According to Mr Crispin Nyaga, Usenge police boss, the soldiers were three, one in uniform and armed. They seized the boats, arrested six fishermen, and took away hundreds of kilogrammes of fish.

The boat without an engine belongs to a Mr Omollo. On board were fishermen Daniel Oyugi, John Liepa and Daniel Odhiambo.

The other boat is owned by Mr Atepe Okinya, and was being used by fishermen Evans Ochieng, Sadam Onyango and Kevin Otieno.

“The authorities took away about 400kgs of fish but released the fishermen,” said Mr Nyaga.

This time round, the Quick Response Team of the Administration Police of Kenya gave hot pursuit and rescued both fishermen and the boats, he said.

He added that the area needs frequent patrol by Kenyan officers to prevent unnecessary arrests by Ugandan soldiers.

A day earlier, six fishermen from Ringiti Island were arrested and released on Saturday after paying some money. The fishermen were arrested on Friday morning near the island while fishing.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Harare central hospital investigates burning of five-day-old twins

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

A pair of five-day-old twins were burnt to death in an open cradle at Harare Central Hospital.

The hospital says it is still carrying out investigations since last week it happened, but negligence is suspected.

The twins were reportedly placed in an isolation ward as they were recovering from jaundice.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

They were placed in an open cradle and a beam of light was used to provide heating.

However, something malfunctioned and the babies were dehydrated and burnt to death.

Their mother, Belinda Balalika found the babies dead when she went to breastfeed them at midnight.

A source who spoke to The Standard said,“ Something malfunctioned and the babies were burnt to death, but what is saddening is the fact that the staff did not check on the babies on time.’

Harare Central Hospital CEO Nyasha Masuka added, “We will be able to give details on Monday when all the investigations have been completed.”

 

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Nigeria: Makarfi joins presidential race, ready to pick PDP nomination form

Published

on

By

Makarfi
Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

A former Governor of Kaduna State and immediate past Caretaker Committee Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Senator  Ahmed Makarfi,  has joined the race to contest the nation’s presidency in 2019.

The two-term-senator said at a press briefing in Kaduna on Sunday that after wide consultations with party men and women as well as other major stakeholders, he had decided to seek the party’s nomination to contest the poll.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

According to Makarfi, he is now ready to pick the PDP nomination form ahead of the 2019 presidential election.

Makarfi will battle a former Vice President and presidential hopeful of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, who had recently appointed a former governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, the Director-General of his 2019 presidential campaign.

Though he had yet to intimate his party through writing, he added that “one has to come to the decision to seek the nomination before you even seek formally.”

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

 

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved