page contents
Connect with us

Motherland News

Zimbabwe: Ex President Robert Mugabe Escapes Probes

Published

on

unnamed (1)

Former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe will not appear before a Mines and Energy Parliamentary Committee investigating the looting and loss of diamond revenue amounting to $15 billion, the head of the committee, Temba Mliswa disclosed.

Mugabe had been expected to appear before the committee after he told state media in 2016 during an interview to mark his birthday that Zimbabwe had lost over $15 billion in gem revenues through corrupt cartels that he did not name.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

According to the state-owned Herald newspaper, the 94-year-old had been given an ultimatum by the committee to attend the hearing on Monday after he failed to appear twice before the committee.

The committee had already interviewed former ministers, police and intelligence chiefs to answer on diamond mining operations at the vast Chiadzwa gem fields.

The committee said in a statement it had now “recused the 94-year-old former leader after consultations with the Speaker”, said a New Zimbabwe.com report.

“The former President, His Excellency Cde RG Mugabe, was unable to attend at the appointed hour and the committee was due to meet to consider summoning him as a measure of last resort but after consultations with the Honourable Speaker, he was recused from attending,” said Mliswa was quoted as saying in a statement. No further details were given.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE TV APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

 

Motherland News

Ethiopia give credence to women in the new cabinet.

Published

on

As at Tuesday morning, Ethiopia’s parliament The House of Peoples Representatives, HPR, was meeting to discuss a range of issues tabled by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

At the core of discussions was to define the power and duties of the executive organ, state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate reported.



Also to be discussed is the approval of a new downsized cabinet as agreed by the Council of Ministers last week. The independent Addis Standard portal reported that the new cabinet of twenty will have ten women appointees.

View image on Twitter

The newly created Ministry for Peace the protal reports will go to Speaker of the House Muferiat Kamil under whose portfolio will be other federal security agencies.

The defense ministry is also to be handed for the first time in the country’s history to a woman, Aisha Mohammed, till now was Minister of Construction. Dagmawit Mogus, deputy mayor of Addis Ababa heads to Ministry of Transport.

Abiy’s right hand man Workneh Gebeyehu is expected to stay at Foreign Affairs whiles former government communications minister will head to finance as Abiy’s office takes full charge of communications, reports have suggested.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

List of some appointees

1 – Ministry of Trade and Industry: Fetleworq G. Begziabher
2 – Ministry of Agriculture: Amlaku Amsalu
3 – Ministry of Finance: Ahmed Shide
4 – Ministry of Peace: Muferiat Kemal
5 – Ministry of Defence: Aisha Mohammed
6 – Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Workneh Gebeyehu
7 – Aisha Mohammed: Innovation & Technology Ministry
8 – Adanech Abbeebbee, Minister of Revenue
9 – Dagmawit Mogus: Minister of Transport.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Motherland News

South Africa: Ex-Mandela cop wins appeal against police minister

Published

on

Major General Andre Lincoln, a policeman chosen by then-president Nelson Mandela to head an elite presidential investigative unit, has won an appeal in a civil case against the police minister in the Western Cape High Court.



Lincoln confirmed on Monday that his appeal, which is related to at least 15 years of legal wrangling, had been successful.

It is not yet clear how Lincoln now plans to proceed with the matter.

The judgment found that Lincoln had not proved a malicious prosecution in terms of some of the charges, that of drunk driving and fleeing the scene of an accident.

IMG-20180912-WA0030

However, it said in terms of the remaining charges, which he was previously charged with in a regional court, his claims against the defendant succeeded with costs.

The Minister of Safety and Security was therefore ordered to pay Lincoln’s costs in the appeal, which included the costs of two counsel.

Lincoln previously claimed that he had been involved in highly sensitive investigations, including a suspected plot by cops to kill Mandela at his 1994 inauguration, which he claimed was “covered up”.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

He had also previously faced 47 criminal charges and was convicted of 17 of these in 2003.

Lincoln then appealed the conviction and was acquitted on all the charges.

He believed that, due to the critical investigations he was busy with, other senior police officers had set him up and had him criminally charged.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH RUSSIA 2018 HIGHLIGHTS HERE

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved