More than 200 members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) and Pro-Democracy group, Concerned Nigerians, protested in Abuja on Wednesday to demand the release of their leader Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky.
Concerned Nigerians said in a statement on Tuesday (January 16) the group would begin daily “sit-outs” on Wednesday to protest alleged killings of members of IMN and demand Zakzaky’s release.
Convener, Concerned Nigerians, Deji Adeyanju said they are asking the government to do what is right.
What is happening to the Shia leader and the members of the Islamic Movement is completely injustice. A situation where they kill…. continuously kill their members you know… and continuously detain their leader. It’s uncalled for, it is against the norm of justice and equity and as sane Nigerians, as responsible Nigerians we must as a matter of fact condemn it which is exactly what we are doing ,” he added.
Shia Muslim cleric Zakzaky, has been imprisoned at an unknown location without charge since December 2015 after his followers clashed with the army in the northern city of Zaria.
Rumored to have died in detention, Zakzaky made his first public appearance in two years on Saturday.
Member of Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Mohalled Ibrahim Gamawa said they are under threat.
“We are being gunned down by policemen day in day out, and soldiers. Many of our members have been killed last week and from all indications they are going to kill our members the more this week because we believe that street protests is our right and we must come out and demonstrate if Sheik Ibrahim Zakzaky is not being released. So we ,
In 2016, Nigeria’s northern state of Kaduna declared IMN a minority sect in the mainly Sunni Muslim north – unlawful on security grounds.
The ban triggered a wave of attacks on IMN members, worsening sectarian rivalries in northern Nigeria, where the army is also fighting Boko Haram.
Mozambique: Government set to impose license fees for local journalists.
Mozambican government has announced plans to introduce license fees for local and foreign journalists.
Local correspondents will pay $2,500 per trip for media accreditation while foreign correspondents living in Mozambique will be charged $8,300 per year.
Mozambican journalists reporting for foreign news outlets will be required to pay $3,500 for an annual accreditation.
FOLLOW US ON:
This is 50 times more than the country’s statutory minimum wage, estimated at around $70 per month.
The plan fees have attracted serious criticism as the move has been viewed as an apparent attempt to discourage reporting from the country.
Mozambique’s National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) has warned that the imposition of licensing fees on the country’s mass media must not compromise the fundamental right of the public to information.
In a statement, the CNDH, added its voice to the chorus of criticism of the proposed fees.
It conceded that the government has the right to update licensing and accreditation fees, but said such a measure should not undermine the right to information.
The CNDH points out that the current legal framework on access to information “takes as its guidelines the greatest divulging of information and free access to information… In other words, access to information is a matter of public interest and this access should be promoted and facilitated”.
It added: “The legal framework meant that the relevant state bodies must take measures to promote the broadest possible access to information”.
CNDS also warns that the enormous fees imposed by the July decree are not in line with the guidelines contained in the legal instruments on the right to information that are in force in the country.
The justification given for the fees is that they are necessary to ensure the sustainability of the sector – but none of the money raised by the fees will go to the media.
The decree states that 60 percent of the money from the fees will go to the state budget, and the remaining 40 per cent will go to the government’s press office (Gabinfo).
Meanwhile, the government is showing signs of backing down.
On Tuesday, its spokesperson, the Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism, Ana Comoana, said the decree will be discussed with interested parties before its implementation.
TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
BREAKING: Former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan dies
Former UN Secretary-General and Nobel Peace Prize winner Kofi Annan died in the early hours of Saturday in Switzerland after a short illness, according to a statement issued by his family.
The Nobel Peace Laureate was the seventh Secretary-General of the UN from January 1997 to December 2006, and became the first black African man to take on the top job as the world’s top diplomat.
He had been a member of The Elders, a group of global leaders working for human rights, since it was founded in 2007. In 2013, he became its chairman.
He was founder and Chairman of the Kofi Annan Foundation, which issued a statement on social media, saying: “It is with immense sadness that the Annan family and the Kofi Annan Foundation announce that Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the United Nations and Nobel Peace Laureate, passed away peacefully on Saturday 18th August after a short illness…”