Connect with us

Motherland News

Kenyan police killed at least 33 people in Nairobi after elections

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Kenyan police killed at least 33 people in the capital during a crackdown following elections in August, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch said on Monday.

Excessive force by police against protesters and residents in strongholds of opposition leader Raila Odinga caused the deaths in Nairobi, the report said.

President Uhuru Kenyatta defeated Odinga in the Aug. 8 election and days of protests followed. The Supreme Court last month voided the election citing procedural irregularities and ordered a re-run, which is to be held on Oct. 26.

“Researchers found that although police behaved appropriately in some instances, in many others they shot or beat protesters to death.”

The report is likely to bolster the case of Kenyan activists and rights groups who accuse police of brutality and extrajudicial killings but say few officers are charged and convictions are extremely rare.

Police spokesman Charles Owino did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Police have said only looters and thugs were killed or injured in the violence.

The report said a 9-year-old was shot dead while standing on a balcony and a woman who was eight months pregnant fainted from inhaling teargas and was trampled to death.

The parents of a six-month-old baby said during the violence their child was clubbed by police in her home and died from brain trauma at a hospital several days later.

Odinga withdrew last week from the re-run saying the vote would not be fair, leaving Kenyatta as the only candidate. The president said the election would proceed.

Political uncertainty has blunted growth in Kenya, a Western ally that has East Africa’s richest economy.

For the past two weeks, police used tear gas to disperse opposition demonstrations held twice weekly in the country’s three biggest cities. The protesters had been calling on the election board to make reforms to ensure a fair poll.

On Thursday the government banned demonstrations in the central business district of Nairobi, the coastal city of Mombasa and the western city of Kisumu.

A group of U.N. human rights experts called for the government’s ban on protests to be listed and denounced a “pattern of police brutality” in response to recent demonstrations.

The report brings the nationwide number of killings by police after the Aug. 8 vote to more than 45. Human Rights Watch last month documented 12 killings by police in western Kenya, the main opposition stronghold.

The country receives substantial financial support for its security services from the United States, Britain and other international donors.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Motherland News

President Museveni Orders Refund of Mobile Money ‘Error’ Tax in Uganda

Published

on

By

Yoweri Museveni
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

President Yoweri Museveni has ordered the refunding of 1% percent mobile money tax paid by Ugandans.

In a statement issued on a social media platform , Museveni insists that the 1 per cent tax which he ordered to be reduced to 0.5 percent last week was passed in error and he signed the bill knowing it had an error.

The mobile money tax and social media tax which triggered massive outcry were effected at the start of 2018/19 financial year.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“I signed the law with the error because we could not delay the other measures. However, parliament, when it reconvenes, will be requested to correct it. The ones whose deductions had been made on the basis of 1% should have their money reimbursed,” said Museveni.

Apart from salary earners and those who use banks, Museveni said the earnings of many other Ugandans are not known. He revealed that each day, $52 million moves around in the form of mobile money that translates into $19 billion a year.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Egypt: 37 persons bag jail terms over illicit human organ trade

Published

on

By

Egypt
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

For illegally trafficking in human organs, an Egyptian court has sentenced 37 people to prison terms ranging from three to 15 years.

The rulings which took place on Thursday in Cairo Criminal Court, reported by the state-run Al Ahram newspaper, sentenced six people to 15 years, 11 to seven years and 20 to three years while three people were acquitted.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

The sentences can be appealed.

An investigation found that doctors, medical workers and intermediaries were involved in multiple incidents of illicit organ transplants and harvesting of human organs.

The probe found that the defendants exploited poor Egyptians who sold their organs.

Egypt prohibits the sale of human organs under a 2010 law but some Egyptians, driven by poverty, offer to sell theirs to make ends meet.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

-The Washington Post

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved