Connect with us

News

At least 27 killed as raging fires sweep across Portugal and northern Spain

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

A spate of wildfires in central and north Portugal which started at the weekend has killed at least 31 people, civil defense authorities say.

Dozens of the 145 fires still raging are considered serious, a spokeswoman said.

To the north, fires which broke out across the border in Spain’s Galicia region claimed at least three lives.

Thousands of firefighters are battling the flames, which erupted after a hot dry summer.

Conditions were worsened by Hurricane Ophelia, as it approaches Europe’s western coast, bringing strong winds to fan and spread the flames.

More than 50 people have also been injured in Portugal; 15 are reported to be in a serious condition. Local media say several people are still missing here, including a month-old baby.

In Spain, two of the victims were found in a burned-out car by the side of the road.

Rain is forecast for the affected regions late on Monday.

Men gather cattle during a forest fire in Vieira de Leiria, Marinha Grande, Portugal 16/10/2017People view damage caused by fires at a camping ground in the Marinha Grande area of central Portugal

The Portuguese deaths were in the Coimbra, Guarda, Castelo Branca and Viseu areas.

“We went through absolute hell. It was horrible. There was fire everywhere,” a resident of Penacova, near Coimbra, was quoted as telling Portuguese RTP TV.

A state of emergency has been declared in Portugal north of the Tagus river – about half the country’s land area. More than 6,000 firefighters in 1,800 vehicles were deployed by early Monday morning.

Galician leader Alberto Nunez Feijoo has claimed the fires were deliberately set by arsonists, in what he called “terrorist acts”.

A house burns in Moinhos village, Lousa, Portugal 15/10/2017

Firefighters work to extinguish a forest fire in As Neves, Galicia, Spain, 16/10/2017

Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said several people had already been identified in connection with the fires, and appealed for anyone with further information to share it with the national protection service.

Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy travelled to Galicia where he met firefighters and expressed solidarity with the victims.

The wildfires follow a massive forest blaze in Portugal in June which killed 64 people and injured more than 130. Firefighters tackling that blaze also alleged it had been started by a “criminal hand”.

But in the aftermath, questions were raised about the speed of the response and the readiness to tackle such a fire. It also emerged that the country’s rescue network, a public-private partnership, failed to connect several emergency calls to firefighters.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Motherland News

Ghana: video of police assault on nursing mother goes viral

Published

on

By

1024x576_500205
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Ghana’s social media space – Facebook and Twitter – has been buzzing with a call for the arrest of a police officer for assaulting a nursing mother.

A viral video shows the said officer in what starts like a tussle with the woman in a banking hall. Subsequently, he is seen hitting the woman with an umbrella, punching and slapping her on the face.

Reports indicated that the woman, a client of the savings and loans company, where the incident occured had arrived when the company had closed.

She ostensibly got in despite the close of business and refused to leave till she could withdraw a sum of 250 cedis ($50). Social media users are calling for the immediate arrest of the police officer. 

Local media portals also report that the police heirachy has confirmed that a probe had been opened into the alleged incident and that due process was going to be pursued.

The video continues to be widely shared on Facebook with some prominent media personalities joining the calls for justice for the woman.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Trump extends Somali immigrants’ stay in US

Published

on

By

images (9)
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Somalis living in the United States under protected status have been given permission by the Trump administration to remain in the country for at least another 18 months, because of ongoing violence in the North African nation.

At least 500 Somalis in the United States with Temporary Protected Status will be able to re-register for an extension of their status through March 17, 2020, according to a Thursday statement from the Department of Homeland Security. The status grants beneficiaries the ability to legally work while they are in the United States.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved