Connect with us

News

Jehovah’s Witnesses Banned in Russia, Labelled “Extremist” Organisation

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Russian Supreme Court on Thursday labeled the Jehovah’s Witnesses an “extremist” organization and banned the religious group from the country.

“It’s very disappointing to us, because I think it became clear during the hearings that Jehovah’s Witnesses are in no way extremists or any kind of threat to Russia or any other country,” Robert Warren, spokesman for the group said.

The ruling means the group’s Russia headquarters in St. Petersburg and local chapters must shut down, and the country will seize property owned by the group, according to Russian news agencies.

Justice Ministry attorney Svetlana Borisova said in court Thursday that the Witnesses “pose a threat to the rights of the citizens, public order and public security,” the Interfax news agency reported.

Jehovah’s Witnesses tout more than 170,000 followers in Russia, and has nearly 400 local chapters.

Sergei Cherepanov, a representative with the group quoted by Interfax, said the Jehovah’s Witnesses plan to appeal the decision with the European Court of Human Rights.

“We will do everything possible,” he said.

Prosecutors charged that the group has ripped families apart and spurs hatred.

Jehovah’s Witnesses — who don’t believe in military service, voting or blood transfusions — have refuted that’s the case.

The group has been based in Russia for more than a century, The New York Times reported earlier this month.

They do not take part in the country’s patriotic celebrations for historic events like the end of World War II or the 2014 annexation of Crimea, the newspaper reported.

Thursday’s ruling ended about a week of hearings on the case. A press release issued by the Jehovah’s Witnesses on Wednesday said Russian officials had been targeting the group with “aggressive actions” over the last decade.

Warren, the Jehovah’s Witnesses spokesman, said the exact reason why the group is being targeted still isn’t clear.

“We don’t think it can be political, because we are neutral,” he told The News. “We really don’t know. Obviously we want to be able to carry out our worship legally and be afforded our rights.”

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

News

Ahmed Musa fires to revive Nigeria, Argentina hope.

Published

on

By

Musa.
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Ahmed Musa scored both goals as Nigeria swept aside World Cup debutants Iceland to leave Group D intriguingly poised with one round of games to go.

The Super Eagles would have gone out with defeat but came good in Volgograd.

Musa showed superb technique to fire Nigeria ahead on the half-volley before the Leicester player rounded keeper Hannes Thor Halldorsson to make it 2-0.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

Iceland missed a late penalty awarded after a video assistant referee review, Gylfi Sigurdsson firing over.

The result gives a slight lift to beleaguered group rivals Argentina. Victory over Nigeria in their final game would see La Albiceleste safely into the last 16 – as long as Iceland do not beat group leaders Croatia. In that event, goal difference would decide who progressed.

Victory in that game for Nigeria, on the other hand, would now guarantee their progress. Having started the day bottom of the group, they find themselves second – three points behind Croatia, who have already qualified for the knockout stage.Ahmed

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

News

Last gasp Coutinho, Neymar goals lifts Brazil’s hope

Published

on

By

Brazil 1
Share this...
Share on Facebook2Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Brazil managed to beat Costa Rica 2-0 in their second game in Group E of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia at Volgograd Arena on Friday afternoon.

Both nations were looking for a win as Costa Rica came into this match at the back of 1-0 defeat against Serbia whilst the Selecao drew against Switzerland on Sunday.

Costa Rica had a glorious opportunity to take the lead when they attacked through Celso Borges, but he failed to direct the ball into an empty net in the 13th minute.

Although they had the favourites tag, the Brazilians failed to create chances. They did manage to find the back of the net in the 26th minute through Gabriel Jesus, but he was ruled offside.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

 Following that disallowed goal, Tite’s troops piled pressure on the opposite defence, but Marcelo’s shot was collected by Keylor Navas in the 41st minute.

Despite more attacking from the 2014 hosts, there were no goals to show for their efforts at the interval.

Upon their return from the interval, Brazil continued to attack with Neymar failing to lower his effort as he blasted over the cross bar on the hour mark.

Towards the 80th minute, Neymar continued to cause all sorts of problems for Costa Rica and he looked like he was pulled in the box, but the VAR referees disagreed.

The Brazilians would break the deadlock in the 90th minute through Philippe Coutinho when he pounced on a loose ball in the box, 1-0.

Right in the injury time, Neymar made it 2-0 when he easily tapped in a cross from the right wing and ensured they bagged their first win in the group.

In the wake of the win, the Brazilians move to the top of the table with four points leaving Costa Rica at at the bottom with zero points.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook2Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Malawi to Consider a New Typhoid Vaccine

Published

on

By

malawi2
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) Aziza Mwisongo has advised the Ministry of health to speedily consider adopting for the new typhoid vaccine.

Mwisongo said Typhoid is an epidemic in Malawi, with research showing that more than 16,000 cases are reported every year.

Mwisongo was speaking in Mponela on Wednesday during a workshop organized by Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH) to brief health practitioners on the importance of the new typhoid vaccine called Typbar-TCV.

She said drug resistance has caused typhoid incidence in Malawi to increase over the past years and an estimated 64 percent of typhoid cases and 67 percent of typhoid deaths occur in children under 15 years of age.

FOLLOW US ON:
 INSTAGRAMLINKEDINYOUTUBETWITTER & FACEBOOK

“While typhoid is rarely fatal, the recovery is long and difficult, the disease takes time, money, and productivity from those infected and their families it is associated with numerous, long-term complications,” she said

She said the Typbar-TCV is a typhoid conjugate vaccine (TCV) and is effective in the sense that it has a longer lasting protection, require fewer doses, and reduces the need for antibiotics, slow further emergence of drug-resistant typhoid strains and save lives.

Mwisongo said the vaccine is suitable for children 6 months of age and older, and offers protection for at least 3 years to adults and infants over 6 months of age.

“In Malawi, TyVAC and project partners are studying how well TCVs prevent typhoid in children between 9 months and 12 years of age as well as the safety, impact, and cost of the vaccine,” she said

She added, “While the WHO already recommends TCV introduction in all typhoid epidemic countries, this additional evidence will help inform ongoing decisions about TCV vaccination in low and middle income countries.”

Deputy Director in the Ministry of Health and population responsible for immunology Matthew Kagoli acknowledged the importance of the typhoid vaccine saying the disease was serious in the country because it affected people in communities as outbreaks.

Kagoli said with the available data it is undoubtedly true that the country needs the vaccine, but further consultations have to be done before adopting the vaccine in the country.

“The vaccine is important and the country will benefit from it but further and thorough consultations need to be done before we take a stand as a country regarding the vaccine,” he said

Typhoid is an enteric fever caused by Salmonella Typhi, it is spread through contaminated food and water and is a substantial public health issue in Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa.

TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
WATCH FREE MOBILE TV CHANNELS HERE

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved