Connect with us

Motherland News

Ethiopia says 669 killed in months of violent protests

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Months of violence that sparked Ethiopia’s current state of emergency left at least 669 people dead, the government-affiliated Ethiopian Human Rights Commission said on Tuesday.

The protests that began in November 2015 and spread throughout the country demanding wider political freedoms posed a challenge to one of Africa’s fastest-growing economies and a government accused by human rights groups of suppressing dissenting voices.

Independent investigations

The commission’s report to lawmakers largely blamed opposition groups for what it called illegal rallies in the restive Oromia and other regions. But it also said security forces were not properly prepared for a protest that turned into a deadly stampede in October and sparked the state of emergency declaration.

Lawmakers in March extended the six-month state of emergency for another four months.

Human rights groups have accused Ethiopia’s government of carrying out extrajudicial killings during the protests and have urged independent investigations.

The human rights commission’s report said security forces used “proportionate measures” in their response. But it also recommended that security forces at fault in a number of incidents across the country should be brought to justice.

Organising protests

Betsate Terefe, the executive director of the independent Human Rights Council, said sample studies conducted in 33 out of 350 localities in the Oromia region indicated that 103 extrajudicial killings were carried out during the months of protests.

“This is in just 33 localities in one region alone. I leave it for you to imagine what the total figure will be if we conducted the investigations in all the localities of all the affected the regions,” he said.

More than 25 000 people suspected of taking part in protests were detained under the state of emergency. Several thousand have been released. The government has indicated that a “few thousand” will be prosecuted for organizing protests.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Motherland News

Ghana: video of police assault on nursing mother goes viral

Published

on

By

1024x576_500205
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Ghana’s social media space – Facebook and Twitter – has been buzzing with a call for the arrest of a police officer for assaulting a nursing mother.

A viral video shows the said officer in what starts like a tussle with the woman in a banking hall. Subsequently, he is seen hitting the woman with an umbrella, punching and slapping her on the face.

Reports indicated that the woman, a client of the savings and loans company, where the incident occured had arrived when the company had closed.

She ostensibly got in despite the close of business and refused to leave till she could withdraw a sum of 250 cedis ($50). Social media users are calling for the immediate arrest of the police officer. 

Local media portals also report that the police heirachy has confirmed that a probe had been opened into the alleged incident and that due process was going to be pursued.

The video continues to be widely shared on Facebook with some prominent media personalities joining the calls for justice for the woman.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Trump extends Somali immigrants’ stay in US

Published

on

By

images (9)
Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Somalis living in the United States under protected status have been given permission by the Trump administration to remain in the country for at least another 18 months, because of ongoing violence in the North African nation.

At least 500 Somalis in the United States with Temporary Protected Status will be able to re-register for an extension of their status through March 17, 2020, according to a Thursday statement from the Department of Homeland Security. The status grants beneficiaries the ability to legally work while they are in the United States.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved