Connect with us

Motherland News

US stands with Rwanda 23 years after genocide

Published

on

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

The United States has said it stands with Rwanda as the country kick-started the commemoration of the 1994 genocide late last week.

According to a statement signed by Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, ‘‘The United States remains steadfast in our support for the Rwandan people as they work to overcome this dark period in their history, hold accountable the perpetrators of such heinous acts, and strengthen the fabric of their country in preventing a recurrence.’‘

The statement added that the US joined the people of Rwanda to honour victims of the unfortunate event ‘‘and the family members who each day keep their memories alive and close at heart.’‘

‘‘On this solemn day, the United States stands side-by-side with the Rwandan people in remembrance of the more than 800,000 men, women, and children killed in the 1994 Rwandan genocide. We bow our heads honoring those who suffered.’‘

The 100-day genocide led to the death of an estimated 800,000 Rwandans from the ethnic minority Tutsis. The figure at the time constituted 70 – 80% of the Tutsi population. President Paul Kagame, a Tutsi, led a rebel force (the Rwandan Patriotic Front – RPF) to halt the slaughte.

The attacks were largely believed to have been carried out by the Hutu-led government with support from two local militia groups – Interahamwe and Impuzamugambi. The attacks took place between April 7 and July 15, 1994.

As part of the 23rd anniversary of the genocide, President Paul Kagame was joined by the African Union Commission chairperson, Moussa Faki Mahamat, to lay wreaths and to light a flame at the genocide memorial.

Recently, Pope Francis asked for forgiveness for the “sins and failings of the Church and its members” during Rwanda’s 1994 genocide, saying the violence had “disfigured the face” of the Roman Catholic Church.

The Holy Father was speaking in a meeting with President Paul Kagame at the Vatican. The Pope added that he hoped his apology would help promote peace in Rwanda, which was torn apart by the genocide, and contribute to a “purification of memory”.

The Catholic Church in Rwanda last year publicly sought forgiveness for the part played by some of its members, who it said had fanned the ethnic hatred that led to the killings. Some massacres took place in churches where people who had sought refuge were killed by militias.

The Vatican said in a statement that the Pope had “implored anew God’s forgiveness for the sins and failings of the Church and its members, among whom priests, and religious men and women who succumbed to hatred and violence, betraying their own evangelical mission”.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Motherland News

Ghana: video of police assault on nursing mother goes viral

Published

on

By

1024x576_500205
Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Ghana’s social media space – Facebook and Twitter – has been buzzing with a call for the arrest of a police officer for assaulting a nursing mother.

A viral video shows the said officer in what starts like a tussle with the woman in a banking hall. Subsequently, he is seen hitting the woman with an umbrella, punching and slapping her on the face.

Reports indicated that the woman, a client of the savings and loans company, where the incident occured had arrived when the company had closed.

She ostensibly got in despite the close of business and refused to leave till she could withdraw a sum of 250 cedis ($50). Social media users are calling for the immediate arrest of the police officer. 

Local media portals also report that the police heirachy has confirmed that a probe had been opened into the alleged incident and that due process was going to be pursued.

The video continues to be widely shared on Facebook with some prominent media personalities joining the calls for justice for the woman.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Motherland News

Trump extends Somali immigrants’ stay in US

Published

on

By

images (9)
Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0

Somalis living in the United States under protected status have been given permission by the Trump administration to remain in the country for at least another 18 months, because of ongoing violence in the North African nation.

At least 500 Somalis in the United States with Temporary Protected Status will be able to re-register for an extension of their status through March 17, 2020, according to a Thursday statement from the Department of Homeland Security. The status grants beneficiaries the ability to legally work while they are in the United States.

 

Share this...
Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Anttention Media. All rights reserved