Angolan Vice President Manuel Vicente had been charged in Portugal with corruption and money laundering, the Prosecutor General’s office in Lisbon said on Thursday.
Vicente, seen as a possible successor to President Jose Eduardo dos Santos who has been in power since 1979 and intends to retire next year, is accused of bribing a magistrate when he was chief executive of state oil company Sonangol.
A former prosecutor, Orlando Figueira, who was arrested a year ago, has been charged with receiving a bribe of 760,000 euros ($810,000) to shelve an investigation into Vicente’s dealings in Portugal before he became vice president.
The Angolan vice president’s office had no immediate comment. Angola has branded previous attempts by Portugal to investigate Vicente as “revenge by the former colonial master” and “neo-colonialism”.
The prosecutor’s office will notify Angola about the charges and ask for its cooperation, it said.
Two of Vicente’s legal and finiancial representatives, Paulo Blanco and Armindo Pires, both Portuguese, were also charged with corruption and money laundering for allegedly paying the bribe jointly with Vicente and arranging a job in a bank as a favour for Figueira.
“In exchange, the former prosecutor ruled in favour of the chief executive of the Angolan company in two investigations, both of which were ultimately shelved by the prosecutor,” the office said.
According to local media, the probe that was shelved in January 2012 focused on the origin of funds with which Vicente had bought a luxury apartment in Lisbon. ($1 = 0.9383 euros)
South Korea court sentences ex-president Park 8 more years in jail
A South Korean court sentenced former President Park Geun-hye to eight more years in prison on Friday after finding her guilty on charges of causing loss of funds from the state spy agency and interfering in 2016 parliamentary elections.
The Seoul Central District Court ruled that Park, who already received a 24-year jail term over separate corruption charges, colluded with her former aides to cause the loss of government funds worth 3.3bn won ($2.91m) from the National Intelligence Service.
“The accused received some three billion won over three years from the three NIS chiefs. Through this crime, the accused incurred a considerable amount of loss to the state treasury,” said senior judge Seong Chang-ho at the Seoul Central District Court.
Three former NIS chiefs testified they had funnelled the funds to Park on her orders, the court said.
The judge rebuked Park, who denied the charges, for being “uncooperative” throughout the court hearing and questioning by prosecutors.
She was also found guilty of interfering in the then-ruling Saenuri Party’s selection of candidates for the parliamentary election.
Prosecutors had earlier demanded a 15-year sentence for Park.
Park, 66, has denied wrongdoing and was not present in court. She was found guilty by a lower court in April of separate charges including bribery, abuse of power and coercion. She was also fined $16m.
She now faces a total of 32 years in prison.
Impeached and removed from office
In December 2016, South Korean legislators overwhelmingly voted to impeach Park but she refused to resign, offering instead an apology while denying any legal wrongdoing.
Three months later, the eight-member Constitutional Court voted unanimously to remove her from office.
She was charged and arrested soon after her dismissal from office in 2017.
She is the daughter of another former president, Park Chung-hee, who seized power in 1961 and was assassinated eight years later.
Park could potentially get an even longer jail time depending on the rulings of the appeals courts.
Following the earlier ruling in April, prosecutors appealed Park’s 24-year term on charges including bribery and abuse of state power and are now demanding 30 years in prison.
The Seoul High Court will rule on the case on August 24.
TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
Nigeria: Boko Haram leader exposes rest Chibok girls whereabouts
One of the arrested Boko Haram leaders and kidnappers of the Chibok schoolgirls, Mallam Mayinta Modu, alias Abor has revealed that each of them received N60,000 as ransom before they freed one batch of the abducted girls.
Modu, who hails from Bama Local Government Area, Borno State had confessed to being one of the Boko Haram Commanders that coordinated and led the kidnapping of the Chibok schoolgirls in 2014, including several attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Mubi towns in Borno and Adamawa states.
This was following the arrest of 22 suspected Boko Haram members who participated in the kidnapping of the girls.
FOLLOW US ON:
They were paraded at the Borno Police Command, Wednesday, by Deputy Commissioner-led Intelligence Response Team, IRT, of the IGP, Ibrahim Idris.Modu revealed that one Mallam Chingori, is in custody of the remaining Chibok girls at Gulumba village of Bama Council Area following the recent bombardment of the forest by troops.
Upon interrogation, he said: “I cannot ascertain the number of people I slaughtered or killed before my arrest. All I can say is that as a member of the sect and with the roles I played in the course of our fighting against infidels, government and security agencies, I was promoted as one of the sub-commanders.
“I actively participated and coordinated the kidnapping of over 200 Chibok schoolgirls in April, 2014.
“After we abducted the girls, we separated them and put them in different locations in Sambisa Forest under the care of our top commanders.
“The name of my top Commander is Mallam Chingori. He kept some of the girls in his custody in Sambisa hideout before relocating to Gulumba village of Bama Council Area following the recent bombardment of the forest by troops.
“At a point, when we released some of the girls, we were given N60,000 each for escorting the girls to one undisclosed location, before we went back to base, Sambisa.
“I may not know whether our Commander who gave us the ransom money also took his share of the money; all I can say is that we were many that collected such amount.
“As it is, the remaining girls are in the custody of our top Commander (Chingori) who later relocated from Sambisa to Gulumba village of Bama town.”
Modu could, however, not state who paid the ransom, but admitted that some of the girls were still in the custody of the sect in different locations in the forest.
TO DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE NEWS APP CLICK HERE
News4 days ago
Meet Croatia’s President Who Taught The World a Lesson in Leadership
Motherland News4 days ago
Egyptian citizenship sold to foreigners for $400,000.
Entertainment5 days ago
Rihanna captured in a heated argument with Billionaire Boyfriend in Mexico
News3 days ago
Zimbabwe government set to increase Civil Servants pay.