Wednesday , January 17 2018
Home / Motherland News / Dad, 35, died at home just 10 hours after being told he had a chest infection at GP surgery.
Content for Mobile Africa

Dad, 35, died at home just 10 hours after being told he had a chest infection at GP surgery.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0

A grieving widow has told how her 35-year-old husband died just 10 hours after going to his GP surgery where he was diagnosed with a chest infection.

Paul Hardy, a father-of-one, from Biddulph, Staffordshire, was prescribed antibiotics and referred for an x-ray during that final consultation .

His wife, Rachel Hardy, 35, found him dead at their home that night as she put their daughter, Gabriella, aged 9, to bed.

Medical tests found Paul had died from sepsis – also known as septicaemia or blood poisoning, the reports said.

Following yesterday’s inquest, Rachel, said: “I am utterly devastated by Paul’s death and so is my daughter and we loved him immensely.

“It is still hard to believe that he is gone and incredibly difficult to come to terms with the fact that I have lost my dear husband, who I expected to grow old with, and Gabriella has lost her doting father.”

The inquest heard Paul twice visited Biddulphdoctors, which is within Biddulph Primary Care Centre, in the four days before his death after becoming ill with cold symptoms.

At his first appointment with a nurse practitioner on Friday, February 17, the inquest heard he was not showing signs of infection and his illness was thought to be a virus.

He was advised to rest and take over-the-counter remedies and went to bed believing he had flu.

His condition worsened over the weekend, with his symptoms including high temperature, a chesty cough, aches and vomiting and diarrhoea.

On Monday, February 20 he returned to the surgery and saw a different nurse practitioner, who checked his temperature, heart rate, oxygen levels and listened to his chest.

The nurse diagnosed a chest infection, prescribed antibiotics and referred Paul, who was asthmatic, for a chest x-ray at a walk-in centre.

The nurse told the inquest: “When I saw him he did not show sepsis symptoms. I understood he was going to go for the x-ray straight away.”

But Rachel says she and her husband were advised he could not be x-rayed until his temperature had gone down, and that he felt too unwell to go right away. Instead they returned to their Lucerne Drive home and Paul went to bed.

Rachel said: “He was restless. At 6pm I took him some food. I propped him up and fed it to him.”

After leaving him to rest, Rachel returned to their room at 8.10pm.

“When I walked in I knew he wasn’t breathing,” she said. “He was lay there like he was asleep. I rang an ambulance and his mum and I started CPR.”

Paul was pronounced dead at 8.48pm. A post-mortem examination revealed he had an abscess on his lung, which was partly collapsed. The cause of death was given as sepsis due to streptococcus pneumonia with abscess formation.

Sepsis sees the body’s immune system go into overdrive as it tries to fight an infection, reducing the blood supply to vital organs. Without quick treatment, it can lead to multiple organ failure and death.

Biddulphdoctors senior partner Dr Philip Turner described Paul’s death as a ‘tragic, tragic case’.

He said: “The evidence suggests it was a streptococcal infection and it was very progressively aggressive. I can’t see anything obvious that my colleagues haven’t done that I think they should have.”

All front-line surgery staff have received sepsis training since Paul’s death.

North Staffordshire coroner Ian Smith said he believed the sepsis and Paul’s collapsed lung had developed after he had been seen by the nurse on February 20.

He said: “My reading of the situation is that, at that time, he didn’t have the abscess formation to the extent it was later, he didn’t have the collapsed lung. That must have occurred afterwards.

“He was still sitting up and eating, albeit supported, at 6pm. He went to sleep and a very significant event occurred which took his life. I don’t think it is right to criticise anyone for what happened.”

Mr Smith also noted that Paul’s blood pressure was not checked by the nurses, but said he did not believe it would have made a difference.

Following the hearing, family lawyer Margaret Ryan said: “The inquest into Paul’s death has highlighted issues where we feel lessons can be learned.

“Communication appears to have been an issue, particularly regarding the urgent need for the x-ray. It’s important that communication with patients is absolutely clear, and that the patient is made fully aware of the need for further treatment, to avoid a situation like this reoccurring.

“We are looking into whether there is a civil claim as to whether anything could have been done to prevent Paul’s death.”

Rachel added: “While nothing will bring Paul back, it is vital that patient safety and care is improved so that what happened to Paul never happens to other families.”

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on LinkedIn0
Brand Envoy

Check Also

President Mnangagwa turns to social media to engage Zimbabweans

Share this...1010Zimbabwe’s new president Emmerson Mnangagwa used his newly reactivated social media accounts on Facebook …