A young mum whose baby wasn’t breathing was told to sit down and ‘wait her turn’ after she rushed her little boy into A&E.
Daveanah Cowie slammed Derby Royal Hospital as “irresponsible” after a receptionist failed to notice how seriously ill seven-week-old Tommy-Lee really was.
Daveanah said she ignored the request and found a doctor who resuscitated and put him on a life support machine.
The 21-year-old, from Alvaston, said her baby “could have died” if she had not acted quickly.
Tommy-Lee was found to have bronchitis and has been in hospital since November 27 with his twin brother Arlow-Jack, who has the same condition.
Miss Cowie, a mum-of-five, says she is “outraged” by the “lack of knowledge” and is calling for staff to be given more training.
She told derby royal hospital: “I took Tommy-Lee to hospital because he was poorly and I noticed as I got out of my vehicle that he was not breathing.
“I rushed him through the doors in a panic and asked the receptionist to get help immediately. Instead of finding a doctor she decided to take my details and told me to sit down and wait my turn.
“I couldn’t believe it. My baby was not breathing and I was told to wait.
“I ignored that and rushed him through the doors and found a female doctor who did life support on him.
“He had episodes where he stopped breathing after that. He was then ventilated and transferred to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.”
She added: “I just can’t believe how anybody could be that irresponsible. If I had wailed my baby could’ve died.
“I told the doctor what had happened and she said: ‘She probably just needs more training’.
“I haven’t received an apology and it’s not on. My baby’s life was at risk.”
Tommy-Lee and Arlow-Jack are slowly making a full recovery, she said.
A spokeswoman for Derby Teaching Hospitals said: “Our first priority is always the safe care of the babies and children brought to our children’s emergency department, and thanks to the expertise of our highly skilled emergency team, the baby in this case received appropriate care.
“We were concerned to find that a receptionist failed to immediately recognise the serious nature of this situation, as this is highly unusual for our dedicated team of reception staff.
“We immediately started an investigation and we are now reviewing the training we give to reception staff in the children’s emergency department.
“We are also happy to meet Ms Cowie to explain the steps we have taken.”